ITC is the market leader in cigarettes in India. With its wide range of invaluable brands, ITC has a leadership position in every segment of the market. ITC's highly popular portfolio of brands includes Insignia, India Kings, Lucky Strike, Classic, Gold Flake, Navy Cut, Players, Scissors, Capstan, Berkeley, Bristol, Flake, Silk Cut, Duke & Royal.
The Company has been able to consolidate its leadership position with single minded focus on continuous value creation for consumers through significant investments in creating & bringing to market innovative product designs, maintaining consistent & superior quality, state-of-the-art manufacturing technology, & superior marketing and distribution. With consumers & consumer insights driving strategy, ITC has been able to fortify market standing in the long-term, by developing & delivering contemporary offers relevant to the changing attitudes & aspirations of the constantly evolving consumer.
ITC's pursuit of international competitiveness is reflected in its initiatives in overseas markets. In the extremely competitive US market, ITC offers high-quality, value-priced cigarettes and Roll-your-own solutions. In West Asia, ITC has become a key player in the GCC markets through its export operations.
ITC's cigarettes are manufactured in state-of-the-art factories at Bengaluru, Munger, Saharanpur, Kolkata and Pune, with cutting-edge technology & excellent work practices benchmarked to the best globally. An efficient supply-chain & distribution network reaches India's popular brands across the length & breadth of the country.
ITC's Cigarettes business has been winning numerous awards for its quality, environmental management systems and product excellence:
- 'Best Manufacturer of Cigarettes' for the year 2008 & 2007 and Best Exporter of Cigarettes for 2008 by the Tobacco Board based on previous three years' performance.
- Occupational Health and Safety Award 2007 for Excellence in Safety Management to the Bengaluru, Saharanpur and Kolkata factories from the Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA), U.K.
- 5 Star Health and Safety Rating in 2007 from the British Safety Council to the Bengaluru, Munger, Kolkata and Saharanpur factories and the "Sword of Honour" for Bengaluru & Saharanpur factories in 2006.
- Greentech Gold Award for excellence in Safety Management for the year 2007 to the Bengaluru, Kolkata and Saharanpur cigarette factories for the high level of performance that the units have achieved in Environment Health and Safety (EHS). Saharanpur along with Kolkata and Munger factories were honoured with the Gold award and the Bengaluru Factory with the Platinum Award in 2006.
- Greentech Gold Award for Excellence in Environment Management 2007 to the Bengaluru, Kolkata and Munger factories.
- Safety Innovation Award for 2007 and 2006 for Innovative Safety Management System to the Bengaluru Factory from the Institution of Engineers and also the Unnatha Suraksha Puraskara Award 2006 from NSC Karnataka Chapter.
- Golden Peacock Award for Occupational Health and Safety from the Institute of Directors, New Delhi; Award for Outstanding Performance in Environment Health and Safety from the CII and the Suraksha Puraskar Award from the National Safety Council, Mumbai to the Kolkata factory in 2007 and the "1st National Security Today Award" in the category of Best Maintained Fire Safety System in 2005.
- Occupational Health and Safety Gold Award from the ROSPA, UK; the Winners Trophy - Safety Health and Environment Award from the CII Eastern region; National Award for Excellence in Water Management and Innovative Project Award Initiatives for Energy Conservation from the CII to the Munger factory in 2007 and also the Excellence in Water Management Award from CII-GBC for 2006.
- All the four factories are certified by Det Norske Veritas (DNV) for ISO 14001, for their Environment Management Systems, OHSAS 18001 for their Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSMS) and the ISO 9000-2000 for Quality Management Systems. The Kolkata factory is the first cigarette factory in India to be awarded the SA 8000 Certificate for Social Accountability by Det Norske Veritas (DNV) in June 2004.
ITC's R&D Centre at Peenya, Bengaluru has the distinction of being the first independent R&D centre in India to get ISO 9001 accreditation and certified with ISO 14001 for Environment Management Systems by DNV. The R&D Centre is also certified for the standard ISO/IEC17025:2005, by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL). This certification is awarded for "General requirement for the competence of Testing & Calibration Laboratories"
Links to Press Reports