ITC Limited's Food Division Labelling Policy
We at the Foods Division of ITC Limited are dedicated to provide the best of information on labels while abiding to all the applicable laws, rules and regulations. Being a responsible packaged food manufacturing, marketing and food selling Company and with launch of multiple value-added products designed specially to enhance their overall positive contribution, we continue to strive towards developing appropriate products, policies and a productive environment that will benefit livelihoods of food producers as well as improve the health and well-being of consumers, while retaining their preferences. With this policy, we would like to share our earnest intent and full commitment towards the process of supporting and adapting to the recommendations provided by statutory authorities and commit ourselves to help consumers to make informed choices through fact-based, simple and easy-to-understand information about key features on each product. These are also in line with ITC's commitment on Quality, Safety & Communication commitments.
We commit to continue working on the below:
1. Key focus areas:
- To make all the mandatory declarations on product contents on the label of any pre-packaged food product.
- This policy applies to all stakeholders responsible for approving given information on labels (Statutorily Mandated or Non-Statutory Information).
- Ensure that the ITC Food Packages/Labels are compliant and ITC abides by all the laws and regulations applicable to the food products.
- To prepare food product labels that are truthful, unambiguous, meaningful, not misleading and help consumers to comprehend the data provided with respect to Nutritional Information, type of food, MRP, Net Weight, Ingredients, Claims, consumer care details and other statutory requirements in line with all applicable laws and regulations.
- To encourage to provide the percentage of RDA contribution per serve on the label (at appropriate place and where required by applicable law) to let consumers be aware of the product's contribution in their daily diets.
- To promote responsible consumption by declaring appropriate portion guidance on packages meant for sale to retail consumers.
- To ensure that the quantity of nutrient values declared on the label are consistent to the tolerance as defined by the applicable law at any point in time within the declared shelf life.
- India being a country having a considerable population consuming Vegetarian food, it is to be ensured that appropriate provision is made to inform the consumer about Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian food via pictorial depiction on the label.
- Declaring the food allergen as required under applicable law which causes allergy including allergens which might be present to enable us provide adequate information to the consumers.
- We will actively participate in the Labelling discussions organised by the Industry Associations, Statutory bodies as and when required, to ensure coherence and alignment.
- Wherever possible ensure that the declaration of the expiry/ use by date along with the date of manufacturing or packaging is given at one place or any one panel on the label.
- To ensure that voluntary claims about the source or richness of product on labels comply with the applicable law and are substantiated by credible science, published literature, etc.
- Adhering to the minimum height requirements of letters and numerals according to the applicable laws, rule and regulations so as to ensure that there is clear legibility to the consumers.
- To declare the ingredient list appropriately on the label which includes ingredients, additives that perform a technological function, compound ingredients, colours and flavouring agents as required by the applicable laws.
- It is also ensured that any advisory statement as required under the applicable law is provided on the labels to help the consumer make informed choices.
2. Policy Applications:
- This policy shall be applicable to the seasonal food items or gift items, including assortments as per the applicable statutory requirements.
- Ensure that the non-retail packages and wholesale packages are also compliant with the applicable law.
- This policy will be applicable to single ingredient packaged food products, non-retail to the extent exemptions are allowed under the applicable laws.
3. Monitoring and Compliance:
- The policy may be reviewed and revised depending upon the changes in the environment of applicable laws, rules and regulations including company policies as appropriate.
- All appropriate stakeholders will be trained to equip them with adequate knowledge about the guideline of pre-packaged food which will enable them to carry out their day to day activities more professionally and efficiently.
- These will be audited by the internal audit teams to ensure their appropriate implementation.
At the Foods Division of ITC Limited we are committed to implement and comply with all the laws, rules and regulations (as applicable to packaged food products). We strive to provide all the relevant information on our labels to collectively fulfil all the possible aspirations of our consumers to help them to ensure their health and safety.