Agri Business - ILTD
ITC pioneered the cultivation and development of Leaf Tobaccos in India. Nearly a century of creating customer delight ensures that globally, ITC's Leaf Tobacco business is synonymous with being "The One Stop Shop for Quality Indian Tobaccos". The Leaf Tobacco business' partnership with the farmer is also almost a 100 years old. In a spirit that truly embodies the Company's "commitment beyond the market", ITC has helped the Indian farmer grow quality leaf tobaccos and linked him to global markets.
ITC is the largest buyer, processor and exporter of leaf tobaccos in India - creating a global benchmark as the single largest integrated source of quality tobaccos. Serving customers in 50 countries across more than 70 destinations, ITC co-creates and delivers value at every stage of the leaf tobacco value chain.
ITC buys nearly 50 per cent of all cigarette tobacco types grown in India. It has a team of experienced, highly skilled and professional buyers and classifiers who source and segregate tobaccos to exacting customer specifications. A large inventory base of quality tobaccos provides an edge in serving customers through product customization, portfolio rationalization, product bundling and value added services. This strategic direction insulates customers from crop fluctuations, a key 'winning proposition' acknowledged worldwide.
ITC's comprehensive and sophisticated R&D facilities cover all aspects of cultivation, product development and processing through fundamental and applied research. Thus, ITC's value proposition to its customers is "On Time In Full" delivery of quality tobaccos spanning across all tobacco types at competitive prices.
ITC's Green Leaf Processing plants at Chirala and Anaparti in Andhra Pradesh and new state-of-the-art Green field GLT in Mysore, Karnataka are benchmarked with the best in the world. Contemporary technology, shared product knowledge base, sophisticated process and quality controls enable ITC to process and deliver over 160 million Kg. of high quality tobaccos annually. These factories have integrated warehousing complexes that match international standards in hygiene, infestation control and monitoring.
For Leaf tobacco trade enquiries, please write to: ILTD.Enquiry@itc.in
ITC's Leaf Tobacco business has won national and international laurels for research and development, quality, environmental management systems and product excellence. The more important of these are:
- The Golden Leaf Awards 2007 in the categories Most Committed to Quality and Most Impressive Public Service Initiative. ILTD is the first time winner in these two categories of the Golden Leaf Awards.
- The International Quality Rating System IQRS Level 7, awarded by Det Norske Veritas in March 2006.
- The Greentech Safety Platinum Award - 2006 in the Manufacturing Sector Category for its leaf processing plant at Chirala, Andhra Pradesh.
- The "Golden Peacock Environment Management Award" for the year 2005 by World Environment Foundation, New Delhi (Institute of Directors, New Delhi) for its Chirala Unit.
- Human Resource Excellence Award 2004 from Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Chennai.
- British Standard 7750, a certification that is an equivalent of ISO 14001 to the processing plant in Chirala for its commitment to Environment management systems, as defined by British Standards.
- ITC's R&D Center for leaf tobacco has received -
- The Best Research and Development of New Innovation Gold award for its contribution to farm productivity improvement through the introduction of improved varieties and propagation of contemporary and cost effective agro-techniques.
- Its Green Leaf Threshing plants were the first of their kind in the world to receive the ISO 9001 quality accreditation. They were also internationally the first to get the ISO 14001 environment management system certification.
- The processing plant at Chirala was the first unit in Asia to receive the Social Accountability Standard Certification (SA 8000) from Det Norske Veritas. The processing plant at Anaparti has also been accredited with SA 8000 in the year 2002.
- The OHSAS 18001:1999 Certificate to the processing plants at Anaparti and Chirala. This facilitates the integration of Quality, Environment, Social Accountability and Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems.
- ILTD has been the recipient of the following awards:
- The ISO 9001 quality accreditation for Warehouse Management of Redried Leaf Tobacco.
- The "Cleaner Production Award" for the year 2004-05 by Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board for its Chirala plant.
- IMC Rama Krishna Bajaj National Quality Commendation Certification (Manufacturing category) for the year 2004 to the Chirala plant.
- "Best Exporter of Unmanufactured Tobacco" in 2008 for the 7th consecutive year (Manufacturers category) for 2003 & 2004 from the Tobacco Board of India.
- The Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award in the 'Best of All' category for 1994 and 1995 from the Government of India.
- National Safety Awards from the British Safety Council
- Swords of Honour and Five Star ratings from the British Safety Council. The processing plant at Chirala has won this award eleven times since 1993 and the Anaparti plant seven times since 1994.
- "SECTOR 2000" Award in the Sector of Food, Drink and Tobacco in the World in the year 2000 from RoSPA (Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents), UK, to the processing plant at Chirala.
- RoSPA Gold Awards from the Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
- Special Commendation Safety Certificate from the Ministry of Labour, Government of India.
- Greentech Safety Gold Award for the years 2002-03, 2003-04 & 2004-05 to the Chirala plant. The Anaparti won the Greentech Safety Gold Award for the year 2004-05.
Links to Press Reports